It is no surprise that oilfield wives get stressed. Often. I mean, just thinking about all of the things we need to tackle, usually solo, is enough to drive even the sanest of women over the edge we were barely on anyway. Right?!
It took me a while to figure out what I needed to do to let go. One day I passed by a mirror, didn’t recognize myself, and quickly determined I had better do something as quickly as possible before someone rendered me completely helpless. Talk about a wake-up call! Who was that ghostly image staring back at me?
So, in an effort to revive myself (again, solo) I did everything imaginable to relieve the masses of stress staring me straight in the face.
Here are some things that worked:
- Buy candles. Burn them often.
- Motivational books. You know, the ones with small little snippets of stories of empowerment and quotes and stuff. Good reading in a short amount of time!
- Adult coloring books. Yeah, it sounds odd. Get one anyway. It’s really fun and relaxing!
- Call mom. Mom makes everything better. Always.
- Go outside. Fresh air does amazing things for your soul.
- Coffee (or something hot to drink: tea, hot cocoa, etc.).
- Wine, of course!
- Bake. Bonus relaxation for conquering something you’ve never made before.
- Read. Never underestimate the power of a good book.
- Put the kids to bed early. Then put on a good movie.
- A hot shower.
- To go with 11: aromatherapy body wash (eucalyptus and spearmint will change your life!!!!!)
- Hug your kids or furbabies.
- Write a letter to a friend. No texts. No e-mails. A REAL letter.
- Go for a drive. (Oh! and bring a hot drink with you!….and chocolate!)
Note: the single most non-effective stress reliever – the internet. Just stay away until you’re you again.
How do you unwind in the midst of life’s stressors? Share your ideas with your fellow OFWs!